Monday, August 12, 2013

THIS IS THE DAY

The summer solstice is just a few days past and I am reveling in the long summer evenings.  Thanks to daylight savings time and our location on the western edge of our time zone, twilight in June lasts until almost ten o'clock.  Those long, soft, golden rays of light angling across the yard never fail to increase my joy.  I know I must get annoying sometimes with my constant "Life is Good" mantra, but I just can't help myself.  I can only hope it is infectious.

This is another post that has been sitting around for a while waiting to get "finished."  It is now the second week of August so I had better wrap this one up soon or let it wait until next year.  The days have actually started their headlong rush to the miserable short days of winter;  the sun is noticeably further south as it comes through our west facing windows at the end of the day.  Crisp fall days with the smell of burning leaves in the air are not too far away.  All this means is that I will have to look  harder for the joy that each day brings, and not let myself think about the next round of warm summer evenings with too much longing.  It's time to tell myself once again, "THIS is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it."

Grandma’sBriefs.com

7 comments:

  1. I remember those long summer nights as a girl in Michigan where we could play outside until 10 PM. While it doesn't stay daylight as long here in southern California we do get lots more wonderful sunny days! I love summer and sunshine. Amara takes after her Grandma, she loves summer and the beach. Life is Good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now THAT is an earworm that makes me smile. We surely shall rejoice and be glad in it. Autumn is actually my favorite time of year, to I'm not too unhappy about summer ending. Though I will miss the longer evenings, for sure. Infectious indeed... Life is good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love fall more if I didn't think about the winter days that are coming. Summer is by far my favorite. I enjoy the freshness of Spring. I guess on a beautiful, sunny, snow filled day I enjoy looking at the snow. Okay, life is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in Virginia, so I am happy in the Spring, Summer and Fall, and have to truly look harder for these wonderful moments in the Winter, though I do choose to rejoice and be glad in every single day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love fall, too. Summer is usually miserable here in Texas with the heat and the mosquitoes! But I can often make it through winter without ever putting on a real coat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just like the way you expressed this transition from what is also my favorite season to the "miserable short days of winter."

    ReplyDelete